Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cranberry Relish



Here is the recipe for the day, Cranberry Relish.  It comes from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli and Peter Bronski.  I have made this before.  My Grandma Mary has been making it for years.

First off, it called for a whole cup of sugar.  I started with 1/4 cup, and then ended up with 1/2 cup.  I could not bare to put the whole cup in.  I was thinking about the salt in the Jasmine rice, and thought it a better idea to start small, and add more.  1/4 cup was still sweet, but not sweet enough, so I put another 1/4 cup in, and then it seemed perfect.  But the kids didn't like it as much...like it wasn't sweet enough.  But I liked the tartness.

Second, I only have a small food processor.  The recipe calls for dumping all the ingredients in a food processor and having at it.  I had to do mine in batches.  I wanted to have the same effect, though, so I put some cranberries, and some oranges in it and pulsed it a bit, and then did more.  Problem was, if I wanted to get the orange to the right size, I would have to keep going past the cranberries being ready.  So when I do this again, I will just do the oranges by themselves.

The rating of this recipe is as follows:

*Difficulty: 5 out of 5 stars

*Time: 5 out of 5 stars

*Price: 4 out of 5 stars
     $3.87 for the whole dish.  If this was a meal, I would be impressed. But it is just a relish.  Which is only made once in a while.  So it isn't too bad.

*OHA: 5 out of 5 stars

*Yum Factor: 4 out of 5 stars

*Calories: 4 our of 5 stars
     It was 200 calories for one cup.  I don't think that any person could eat a whole cup of that stuff though.  So, a serving would be more like 1/4 or 1/2 that.  So, that is pretty doable.

*Over all rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment