Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chili

This recipe took chili to a WHOLE NEW level for me!  I have been called the queen of chili before.  But I never took it too serious because I used a packaged seasoning mix from McCormick.  Everyone always raved about it though.  I got my recipe from a recipe exchange I did once.  A friend from college gave me her "touch down chili" recipe.  It called for a cup of vegetables and suggested sour cream and cheese as toppings.  I don't much like vegetables in my chili, so I always did a green bell pepper and an onion.  It worked great.  Well, guess what one of the first things to go was, when we found out about the gluten problem?  The chili seasoning.  It wasn't the end of the world.  I got the hang of seasoning it myself.  But it was never quite the same.

But, now, I have a chili recipe!  The best ever!  REALLY!  It is SO YUMMY!  And, it is a slow cooker recipe to boot!  I love using my crock pot!  So this is a double whammy!  

Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the chili.  And the left overs were not around too long, so I couldn't even get a picture of those.  But I will say, the cost of the Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking book by Kelli and Pete Bronski is not too high a price to pay for this chili recipe!  I am tempted to not even rate it....because it doesn't matter how many calories are in it, or how much it cost, it is worth every calorie and every penny!  And since I can hear the kids waking up, and running around up stairs, I think I might just do that.

Over all rating 6 out of 5 stars!  How about that?!?!

A few things about this recipe though:

1. You put most of the ingredients in the slow cooker, and then you put a one pound beef roast on top, in the middle.  It kind of sinks down about half way.  You are supposed to cook it on low for 8 to 10 hours.  I didn't.  I cooked it on high for 4 hours, because I had started it too late.  By the end of the cooking time, if you do it on low, you should be able to "shred" the beef.  I wasn't.  I had to cut mine into small pieces, but that's okay.  It was still way yummy!

2. I did end up topping the chili with a dollop of sour cream (tuffuti, non dairy) and some scallions.  The scallions MADE THIS!  Oh my word.  The crunch and flavor....well, you are just going to HAVE to try this.

So, if you are going gluten free, and missing your McCormick chili seasoning, like I did, this will change your life.  Like Kelli and Pete's blog says, "No gluten, NO PROBLEM!".

**Addition**
I found a picture of me and the chili...well the closest thing I could find.


No comments:

Post a Comment