Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stuffed Squash


Yay for new yummy recipes!  I will definitely make this again!  Once again I got the recipe from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli and Peter Bronski.  I know it doesn't look like much, but it was delicious!  No boiling hot oil, or sticky dough.  Just acorn squash cut in half, and a bunch of ingredients mixed together:  sausage, onion, a granny smith apple, GF bread crumbs and a bunch of spices--all stuffed inside the acorn squash.  SO YUMMY!  I actually bought the squash from a local farm, so I didn't have the recommended "2 medium" squash, like the recipe suggested.  Instead I had about 5 small acorn squashes.  It still worked really well.  I wouldn't have normally added the granny smith apple.  Eewww.  But since I am doing this blog I am trying to follow the recipes to the letter, not something I am used to doing.  I am glad I added it.  I couldn't really tell it was there, but it did add to the texture of the dish,  in a good way.


The rating of this recipe is as follows:


*Difficulty: 5 out of 5 stars
     Super easy.  I ended up using my hands to mix the ingredients together, because a spoon wasn't cutting it.   It was easy to cut the little acorn squash in half, too.  Normally I have the larger ones, and it is a lot harder to cut them open.

*Time: 5 out of 5 stars
     Super quick.  Yes, I love the word "super"!  10 minutes for prep, and 1 hour to cook.  Ta-da! 

*Price per serving:  5 out of 5 stars
     This was $8 for the whole meal.  I think I could have made it cheaper too.  I could have stretched the meat a little by using more squashes and less meat.  Not to mention, that if you have a garden, the squash would be free as well as the onions.  I should also mention, that I counted the sausage at $2 per pound, but previously, I have purchased sausage for $1 per pound.  I usually wait for it to be on super sale, and then buy them out and freeze it all.  I bought this sausage specifically for this recipe at full price because I wanted to make the recipe and I didn't know when the sausage would be on sale again.

*OHA: 4 out of 5 stars

     I had everything on hand except for the apple and squash and sausage (the key components of this recipe).  But, I try to keep the sausage on hand, so it wasn't too bad.  And it was easy to get the squash and the apple.


*Yum Factor: 5 out of 5 stars
     Positively delicious!  LOVED EVERY BITE!  Seriously, de-lish!  


*Calories: 5 out of 5 stars
     One serving (1/4 of the stuffing, and 1 half of a medium squash) was about 300 calories.  Totally worth it.  And, if you wanted to make it even less calories, you could use low fat sausage.  I have tried it, and it is pretty tasty.


*Over all rating of recipe:   4.8 out of 5 stars



3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. We don't have a gluten problem here but I just bought a large acorn squash and was going to cook it tonight. ON my way to the store to get a granny smith apple! Thanks Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to you on being so adventurous in finding meals that your family can eat! I just popped over to check out your blog because I couldn't resist the recipes you kept posting! We have tons of acorn squash from our garden (wish you were closer!), and this is a different recipe I've never heard of. Will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tawnya! It is SO delicious! I can't post the exact recipe due to the rights on the cook book and what not, but I am sure you could probably find something like it on line. :)

    ReplyDelete