Saturday, October 16, 2010

Homemade French Fries


Yummy!  Nothing beats French Fries!  And surprisingly, almost every single fast food French Fry has gluten in it, that or dairy.  So we haven't had them in a while.  These, were delicious, but it is pretty safe to say that anytime you fry something it is going to taste good.  This recipe comes from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli and Peter Bronski.  The cook book did give a technique for not making them AS fatting.  Some oven time was involved.  But they were still fried, and very tasty.  I have decided that if I am not going to gain weight during this cooking adventure I am on, I need to start counting the calories in these dishes.  I will be adding that to the rating of each recipe...next time.


I should also mention that this was dangerous...at least for me.  I actually got a little spark of hot oil in my eye at one point.  If I practiced more, maybe it wouldn't be so dangerous.  I am not a fan of hot oil, or of frying things in general.  I do not fry chicken or even tortillas (I use to fry corn tortillas for tacos, they are so yummy...but when I started to drop weight, I had to drop some high calorie meals as well).

The kids didn't eat them up, which was surprising.  Aaron does not like anything potato, so that didn't surprise me, but Andrew (my gluten intolerant kid) LOVES French Fries, and can't have them from McDonalds or places like that, any more.  I thought for sure he would eat them up, and beg for more.  Nope.  He ate three.  Josh loved them though.  So, this is a good treat, every once in a while, when I am feeling brave.


*Difficulty: 4 out of 5 stars
     Not super easy, but not too difficult either.  Avoiding the specks of flying hot oil was my biggest trouble.  I did have a mesh lid thing that I put over the pan while they were frying.  That helped a little, but not when I was trying to put the potatoes in the oil.  I also had to do it in batches, which makes things a little more difficult.

*Time: 5 out of 5 stars
     This was not too time consuming at all.   It took maybe 5 minutes to fry them, and 10 minutes to bake them.  Super quick.  Cutting them was quick too.  I used my Pampered Chef Crinkle Cutter.  Very fun.  I used 4 potatoes.

*Price per serving:  4 out of 5 stars
     I am not quite sure the actual price per serving on this one.  The potatoes are 40 cents a pound.  The oil is what was pricey.  I thought I had some cooking oil, but I could not find it.  So I ended up using olive oil.  It was still tasty, but I am sure that made the price go up quite a bit.

*OHA: 5 out of 5 stars
     Normally I would have Canola oil on hand.  So this recipe gets a high rating, because I wouldn't normally need to make a special trip to the store for anything.  There were three ingredients total.

*Yum Factor:  5 out of 5 stars
    This is a no brainer, IT WAS FRIED!

*Over all rating: 4.6 stars our of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment