Friday, October 15, 2010

Gnocchi


What an interesting meal this turned out to be!  I had never tried gnocchi before, let along tried to make it, or even make it gluten free.  And I will tell you right off the bat, I didn't like it.  Neither did Aaron or Abigail (my oldest two kids, who are able to eat whatever they want).  But, Andrew and my husband Josh, enjoyed it.  Josh, especially liked it, mostly because it reminded him of dumplings, I am sure, which I do not ever make, gluten free or not.  Once again this comes from the book Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli and Peter Bronski.  And for those of you who are clueless like me about what gnocchi even is, it is a potato noodle/dumpling.  By itself it is pretty interesting.  Maybe I should have put more salt.  But when you add the marinara sauce, it is okay.  Of course, that is my opinion, Josh gobbled it down like I would never make it again (and he was probably right in that thinking).

Let's jump right into the rating of this recipe.

*Difficulty: 3 out of 5 stars
     It was not impossible to do, but it still took some time and energy.  The dough was hard to get to the right consistency.  Once the dough was ready to boil it needed to be done in batches, and I had to set the timer, and wait for it to float before I started the timer.  The directions on how to actually make the noodles from the dough were a bit confusing, and took some time to figure out as well.  Also, the amount of dishes needed, and thus needed to be cleaned afterward, was more than I like.
*Time: 3 out of 5 stars
     It took me an hour to make the dough.  Then it took a little bit more time to boil it all, and then heat the sauce and add it all together.  If it had been the best tasting thing I ever made, and hour would not have been too much time to put into it.  But since it was not something I enjoyed too much, I didn't like the fact that I had to spend and hour doing it.  Now, if it took minutes to make, I might consider making it again, because Josh and Andrew liked it so much.

*Price per serving:  5 out of 5 stars
     $4.50 for the whole meal.  If I can get a meal to cost less than $1 a person, then I am doing great! 

*OHA: 5 out of 5 stars
     Didn't need to run to the store for anything special!  I love it when that happens!


*Yum Factor: 3 out of 5 stars
     This was really hard to rate.  If I was just going off of what I thought of the taste, then it would probably be a 2, but since Josh liked it so much, I had to give it a 3.


*Over all rating: 3.8 out of 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment