Friday, November 26, 2010

Chicken and Waffles with Maple BACON Gravy

The number one reason to buy Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone--her waffle recipes!  The woman is brilliant!  Seriously!  Who would have thought to use a waffle iron to make bread?!?!  Not me, by any means.  And while I don't like a couple things about her cook book in general, her stuff TASTES good!  She is a dang good cook, I will give her that much, and this recipe is PROOF!


I was a little nervous to try this recipe.  I know it has BACON in it, and you can't go wrong with that, but it turned maple syrup into a gravy, and something didn't seem right about that.  I put my fears and wariness to the side, and went all out with this recipe, not changing anything.  Okay, well, I changed one thing.  I didn't have any chicken breasts WITH the skin.  Eeewww.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I love chicken skin, just like anyone else, but why add the calories?  Especially when you can get skinless and boneless chicken breasts for $1.78 per pound at Walmart.  This affected the recipe slightly, and the cooking time, and probably the over all texture of the chicken, in the end.  But it still tasted AMAZING!


OH!  That's right.  I forgot about a little mistake a made along the way...I made this about two and a half weeks ago.  I had forgotten that the way she writes her recipes is kind of confusing.  She lists her ingredients on the left side of the directions.  Cool.  But then she will say, "...whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil and 1 1/2 cups milk..."  So, I quickly look at the ingredients list, and add all the eggs, all the oil and ALL of the milk.  Of course, the ingredients list says that 3 cups of rice milk is needed.  So, guess what I just did to the waffle batter?  Yeah, SOUP!  Haha, the funny thing was I didn't realize I had done that until step 4, when I needed to add milk to the gravy.  And then it made sense.  I thought the batter seemed runny, and it took a lot longer to cook than the recipe said it would.  Oh goodness.


So, now, when I am using Cooking for Isaiah, I triple check the instructions, which is rather annoying.  But this recipe is definitely worth it.  The waffles have dry mustard, paprika and fresh parsley for seasoning.  They tasted so good.  (My kids loved them, and wanted just the waffles by themselves, too bad I couldn't have sneaked some healthy veggies in them or something.)  The chicken was easy to cook, and didn't take very long at all.  The gravy...now THAT was the icing on the cake!  It had BACON, maple syrup and a hint of cayenne pepper, which ended up making it a bit too strong for the kids, but made Josh and my taste buds very happy.


Here is Josh, eating his second helping, HIS WAY.  He made that puppy into a sandwich and licked his fingers when he was done!  I didn't have a second helping, but I did eat another waffle, just by itself.  YUM!

The rating on this recipe is 5 stars out of 5 stars!  It really doesn't matter how much it cost, or how difficult it was or even how many calories were in it, IT WAS WORTH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment