Thursday, November 25, 2010

New to Gluten Free and Beyond

It has been 15 days since my last post, and I have made 17 recipes from two different cook books.  One cook book I have mentioned before, Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli and Pete Bronski; the other cook book I have not mentioned yet, but I have been eager to try some recipes from: Cooking for Isaiah  by Silvana Nardone.

My original intent for starting this blog was to make myself start trying new recipes.  The idea came when I got a cook book I ordered in the mail called Gluten Free Girl and the Chef by Shauna James Ahern and Daniel Ahern.  I saw the book online and I was super excited about it, but when I got it, and started to flip through the recipes, I was shocked.  "Millet Tabouleh" and "Watermelon Gazpacho" and "Umbraian Lentils with Duck Confit" and "Rabbit with Mustard".  Really?  Yeah, that sounds great: "Okay, Andrew, go sit at the table while I dish you up some rabbit with mustard; that's a good boy."  No, I don't think so.  Thankfully, I had the Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking book, and I started on those recipes.  But anyway, my idea was to cook all the recipes in the books, and blog about them, and in the end write a cook book review, so that other people would know what they were buying.  I am sure there are several people who are going to read this blog and think, "Oooooo!  Millet Tabouleh!  How exciting!"  Or, "Man, I have been looking for a good GF watermelon gazpacho!"  But as you have noticed, trying those recipes are not top priority.  No, I needed some down to earth, easy to make meals, and quick!  I didn't know how many more times I could feed my kids beans and rice before I was going to go crazy!

My intentions have expanded a little now.  The more I write and the more I research, and the more I cook, the more I realize that there is a slough of information out there for people needing information on a gluten free life style.  I am new at this, I can not offer any one any real information.  But I have realized that there is something of value I can offer.  Experience.  If you go to Google and type "gluten free recipes" you will get (and I quote Google) "About 506,000 results".  I have personally been to probably 20 gluten free blogs so far.  I know there are a ton more, but I can only read so much with all the cooking and cleaning I do, plus dealing with the kids running around the house.  But if you are new to the gluten free life, and you are struggling with what books to buy, and what blogs to follow, fear not!  I have struggled to.  And this blog seeks to review all the information out there, and help you decide just what it is YOU want to do.  Because we can all follow the Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking to the letter, or we can follow the Gluten Free Mommy blog to the "T", but neither of those things are us.  My life is different from their lives.  And your life is different from mine.  So...this blog is more of a guide through the floods of gluten free information and knowledge.  And fortunately it is also quite entertaining.  Don't worry, you are not the first one to ask what "xanthan gum" is.  You aren't the first one to have problems reading labels, or baking GF bread.  And don't worry, you will not be the last.  Good luck on your adventure.

As for the 17 recipes I haven't blogged about...I am still uncertain of what to do.  It is a lot of catching up to do.  Maybe I will just start fresh tomorrow, and post one a day starting tomorrow, and when I come to a day when I don't have time or energy to make a new recipe, I will pull one of the ones out that I have already made, but haven't blogged about.

PHEW!  It is nice to not have the pressure of catching up on my shoulders anymore.  Thank you all for your continued support and for joining my on my GF journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment