Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chocolate Chip Scones


This picture is proof that something can taste good, but look weird all at the same time.  I know that scones aren't necessarily supposed to look like pieces of pizza, but, as I like to say, "I can explain".

This recipe comes from the cook book Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Kelli and Pete Bronski.  I used my new hand crank grain mill (that I got from my wonderful mother-in-law) to make all natural, long grain, brown rice into flour.  I had to run it through the mill at least twice.  And then I needed to mix it with a few other flours to come up with their Artisan GF Flour Mix.

On to the recipe rating:


*Difficulty: 3 out of 5 stars
     I am a visual person, definitely not audio, so reading the directions for how to cut these in to triangles was not the simplest thing.  I had to read it several times, and even re-cut it, after I messed it up the first time.  They used words like "long", "wide", and "crosswise".  If I had had a picture with arrows directing me, I would have been able to easily decide whether crosswise meant the length or the width.
     Mixing it up was a breeze with my kitchenaid though, and the dough was pretty easy to work with.  I think since I never baked before this gluten problem, I am at a bit of a disadvantage.  Anyone who cooks and bakes is probably using my blog as a good source of comedy.  But, when you can buy perfectly good scones at the store, why bake them?  But when you have to order GF scones, and pay to have them shipped to you, and they are four or five times the price of scones that have gluten in them, making them seems like a must.
     I would also like to add, that I was trying to read the directions with three wild kids running around the kitchen "helping" me.  And since I mentioned having to cut it more than once, I will add that the pictured scone above has lines in it because of the previous cuts.  I was running out of time (bed time was looming) and I didn't mix the dough and start over.  I tried to mush the lines together instead.  

*Time: 5 out of 5 stars
     Not long at all.  Only 20 minutes in the oven.

*Price: 3 out of 5 stars
     $7.34 not including the chocolate chips.  I tried to find out how much I spent on them, but I couldn't.  I bought GF and DF (dairy free) chocolate chips at the World Food Market in Omaha.  I am not too impressed with the over all price of the scones.  

*OHA: 5 out of 5 stars
     
*Yum Factor: 4.5 out of 5 stars
     They turned out great.  I would have added more chocolate chips.  But other than that, perfect.  The texture was perfect.  Not that I really ate scones before, so I couldn't tell you how much they are alike or different from their glutenous counterparts.

*Over All Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment